Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Roasted aubergine mixed with scrambled egg


The dish sounds fancy, doesn’t it? My husband said “can you make baigan ka bharta more interesting?” I thought that to start of with, it should have a different name. The word bharta as found out from http://indianfood.about.com refers to dishes in which the ingredients are roughly mashed either before or after the dish is prepared and baigan of course is aubergine.

I roasted a medium sized aubergine on a gas burner directly at low flame. Before putting on flame I remember my mother’s advice and made a small incision on the top of the aubergine and peeped inside to check for worms. I also made other small incisions on the body of the aubergine so that the heat gets inside. I kept turning it by holding part of its stem till all the skin of the aubergine is charred black and the inner flesh looks tender.

Now that it is roasted to my satisfaction I keep it aside and allow it to cool. Next, I heat 4 table spoon of oil in a wok and add ½ tea spoon of cumin seeds to it. I then add I coarsely diced (length wise) onion. When the onion becomes translucent I throw in 1 large tomato chopped into small pieces and stir. I cover with a plate and let the tomatoes become tender. 

I quickly peel off and discard the charred skin of the aubergine and mash it with my hands. I take the lid off and put in the mashed aubergine and turn in the tomatoes and onions.

Next in another fry pan, I scramble two eggs. Now I add the scrambled eggs into the mashed aubergine mix. Add salt to taste and 1 chopped green chilly and season generously with chopped coriander. I place the side dish in front of my husband along with 2 rotis  and ask “is this interesting?” He silently tastes it and gestures his appreciation. What more can a wife want?





No comments: